Team HFF is blitzing the MA State House asking our State Representatives to support certain amendments to the House Ways & Means budget that was filed this week. We have analyzed the funding recommendations and language, and are giving it our all to ensure the legislature is aware and informed of the programs and policies that work to end family homelessness.
And we need your help –RIGHT NOW! Amendments need to be filed today, and your representative needs to hear from you before 12pm.
Please take a moment to call your state representative. It is incredibly important that they hear from their constituents as they work towards creating the budget that determines how we approach family homelessness as a state.
To help, we created a sample script for you to use during this phone call:
“Hi. My name is and I live/work in . I am calling as a constituent to say I support the House’s recommendation to fund the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program- or MRVP- at $91 million.
I would also like to ask that the representative support several amendments that will also work to support families to avoid or transition out of homelessness:
- Representative Marjorie Decker’s amendment to Emergency Assistance (EA, line item 7004-0101) to allow access to shelter for otherwise eligible families if they are at imminent risk of having to sleep in a place not meant for human habitation
- Representative Marjorie Decker’s amendment to HomeBASE (7004-0108) to reduce the bar from 24 to 12 months on accessing HomeBASE after previous termination from the program
- Representative Christine Barber’s amendment to allow access to HomeBASE to homeless families residing in domestic violence and family residential treatment shelters
- Representative Marjorie Decker’s amendment to level fund Transitional Assistance (4403-2000), preserve the rent and clothing allowances and provide a long overdue grant increase
- Representative Marjorie Decker’s amendment to require the Department of Transitional Assistance to take no negative action on pending recertifications of cases for households who have submitted paperwork that has yet to be properly processed
- Representative Danielle Gregoire’s amendment to require the Department of Housing and Community Development to report on the reasons applicant families are denied access to shelter
As always, if you have any questions, please call us at 617.227.4188. If you are uncertain how to contact your representative, visit www.wheredoivotema.com .
We also want to acknowledge and thank our leaders for recommending $91 million for the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program (MRVP) and for their overall commitment to ending family homelessness in the Commonwealth.
Thank you for your support and for your efforts as we work together to finally put an end to family homelessness in Massachusetts. Our voice in this process is necessary and working- and that is because of you! We will keep you posted throughout the process, and please like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and sign up for our blog for ongoing updates.