US Children’s Bureau issues Notice of Upcoming Grant to Support Housing-Child Welfare Partnerships to Keep Families Together and Safe

On May 29, 2013 HHS will begin to accept applications for a pilot program called, Partnerships to Demonstrate the Effectiveness of Supportive Housing for Families in the Child Welfare System.  HHS will award five communities a maximum of $5 million over five years to communities who work in partnership to address the housing needs of families who are at risk of separation or unable to reunite due to serious housing problems.  Applications will be due on July 28, 2012 and projects are due to begin in September 2012.

Click this link to view the announcement:

While the program is remarkably similar to HUD’s Family Unification Program and indeed could be easily folded into a FUP site, it is not necessarily identical to FUP and allows for additional innovations, including triage systems.

Eligible activities include:

  • The development or expansion of triage procedures for a subset of families who come to the attention of the child welfare system due to severe housing issues and high service needs;
  • Local implementation of supportive housing services that integrate community services for housing and other critical services for the specified target population;
  • Customized case management services for children and their parents, as well as trauma informed interventions and mental health services through partnerships to access additional services through community-based service providers; and
  • Evaluations that examine the process and outcomes for these grants.

Eligible applicants include:

  • State governments
  • County governments
  • City or township governments
  • Special district governments
  • Public and State controlled institutions of higher education
  • Native American tribal governments (Federally recognized)
  • Public housing authorities/Indian housing authorities
  • Native American tribal organizations (other than Federally recognized tribal governments)
  • Nonprofits having a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education
  • Nonprofits without 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education
  • Private institutions of higher education
  • For profit organizations other than small businesses
  • Small businesses

If you are interested in learning more about housing-child welfare partnerships in anticipation of this upcoming grant, please feel free to reach out to NCHCW at or 301-699-0151 for more information.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s